Advertisement

How to own Full Auto legally

topic posted Wed, August 18, 2004 - 10:33 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I envy those who legally own a real gun. Where can I learn how to do it?

I mean, it would be lovely to own an M-2!
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: How to own Full Auto legally

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 10:39 AM
    Many states impose additional requirements/prohibitions. Since you're in California, you may need to forget it. You can check by contacting a cocal class 3 dealer or the ATF.

Hey, if you move up to Oregon it's an option, though!

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 10:53 AM
      Or Nevada or Arizona or Utah or Idaho...

Heck, just emmigrate from Commiefornia to the 46 United States.
      • Unsu...

Re: How to own Full Auto legally

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 11:21 AM
        I've got friends in NV. Perhaps it'll be enough to own one there and just visit once in a while. Kind of like seein a hooker, only I can bring my girlie with no problems.
        • Unsu...

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 12:03 PM
          I would like a mini-gun under my hood, so when I flip a switch, my grill drops, and it discreetly pops out. I think the standard M1A Abrams load of 7,000 7.62 rds would do the trick. I'd use it every day in NYC.
          • Unsu...

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 12:41 PM
            What do you mean by M1A Abrams load? A M242 is used on the Loaders mount. It uses the same ammo as the M60.

Is a normal Gattling Gun leagal? It doesn't fall under the "more than one round with each trigger pull" thingie. But one would think it has some kind of restriction.
            • Unsu...

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 1:05 PM
              An M1A carries about 7,000 rounds of 7.62 ammo besides the .50 ammo.

And NO ITS NOT LEGAL YA FREAK! Can anyone joke on here?
              • Unsu...

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 1:25 PM
                Oh yes, the M1 does have a coaxl M242 too. I suppose that's why they need all that ammo. It's okay to burn off a few rounds with it. The on board computer has a setting for it. very accurate but not as fun as plikin with the M-2 mounted on a vehicle mount.

Oh, I'm not talking about a mini gun. I'm talking about the kind of Gattling Gun you have to crank the handle.
          • Unsu...

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 4:09 PM
            As an exercise in boredom, back when I worked at a gun store and range, we looked into the legality of vehicle mounted weaponry. Basically in several not so clearly worded laws, its a really big no no.

That is, except possibly in Florida, who's concealed weapons (not gun) permit may be even more ambiguously worded so as to allow an interpretation as vehicularly concealed weapons may be okay.

But in general class 3 weapons cannot ever be concealed in a private vehicle of any kind, or truly concealed ever, to the point that federal law requires you to inform every Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in the jurisdiction in which you are in or passing through that you are bringing a class 3 weapon through their territory.

Although if the vehicle you are in is owned by a corporation with a federally authorized special use permit, even the very strict class 3 requirements can be bypassed (which may work in NYC even).

Wed, August 18, 2004 - 4:19 PM
              <<But in general class 3 weapons cannot ever be concealed in a private vehicle of any kind, or truly concealed ever, to the point that federal law requires you to inform every Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in the jurisdiction in which you are in or passing through that you are bringing a class 3 weapon through their territory.>>

Does that mean each state you pass through? Or smaller jurisdictions...

• Unsu...

Thu, August 19, 2004 - 11:56 AM
                The wording is somewhat vague, so it's safest to assume that each juristiction includes all of them.

But as I found out over the years, every ATF officer can give you a different interpretation, but none of those interpretations are dependable.
                • Unsu...

Thu, August 19, 2004 - 12:43 PM
                  At least I know I can own a "spud gun."
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, August 19, 2004 - 7:14 PM
                    spud guns are illegal now in many places. Destructive device, menace to street lights everywhere.

Gatlin guns are not machine guns. There are kits that use 2 or more Ruger 10-22's to make a gatlin gun. They are legal like rifles, but expensive to own. You could do the same with SKS or Hakim, or AK's. Just DO NOT build the crank turned 10-22 style gatlin, and put your rechargeable drill on the crank handle. Then you're illegal.

You COULD build a black powder, artillery piece that shoots lead filled tennis balls. Black powder cannons are not illegal (in most states). It'd make a hell of a hood ornament.
                    Even Hummer drivers would give you room to drive.

You are in New York? There is a Yellow Cab (big company in Houston) that is a Hummer. Are there any there?

Fri, September 24, 2004 - 1:40 AM
                      re black powder cannons: I have a friend who made his own from an old oxygen cylinder, cutting one end off and fitting a hole for the fuse at the other. He uses bowling balls with half a cup of black powder. I don't know if it's California legal, he uses it up at his cabin in Oregon. It works quite well for him.

Thu, September 1, 2005 - 8:04 AM

In Oregon the constitution guarantees that anyone can carry a loaded firearm as long as it's visable. We're pretty liberal with guns here. If it's an automatic you can't have a round in the chamber. As far as owning a machinegun, you can't have any felonies or in Oregon, drug history or domestic violences charges. Then you just pay the ATF tax-transfer stamp and it's yours. Owning a class III weapon is out of the price-range for 90 pecent of gun-owners though.

Swaz

Sat, December 25, 2004 - 1:39 AM
          >>>I've got friends in NV. Perhaps it'll be enough to own one there and just visit once in a while. Kind of like seein a hooker, only I can bring my girlie with no problems.

Nope. Class 3 rules require that you have your weapon under your control at all times. If it isn't in your sight, it must be under lock and key on your property.

Gatling guns are not considered full-auto, so long as they are hand cranked. I've seen one built up from 4 semi-auto AK receivers, each with a 50-rnd mag. Turn the crank, and piont this big boxy thing towards your target.

Now, I have no knowledge of Cali law, but ultimately, if your CLEO checks off on it, you are good to go. Of course, you can be DQ'd for the usual reasons, like a prior felony conviction, or a domestic OFP. Now, your state laws may disallow your CLEO to do any such check-offs, so there's no guarantees.

If you can qualify for a Class 3, you could also get an experimental manufacturer's license, provided you have some commercial enterprise with its own real estate. This is much cooler, as it allows you to assemble those kits you sometimes see into experimental weapons, full-auto or otherwise, for the purposes of advancing the technology. You can't sell them, except to law enforcement or the military, or as prototypes to other manufacturers, but only a modest machinist's skill can let you turn out some very interesting products.

Fri, September 24, 2004 - 1:29 AM
      I'm not certain if you can still do it, but years ago I met a man who was California full auto legal by being a NFA dealer. It's expensive and since the state & local have to ok you first I'm not certain what hoops the DoJ would make you jump thru before ok-ing your application to the BATF. Like gun safes, liability insurance, business location, etc.
      I have a friend whose son lives in Arizona and he parked his semiauto CA "assault weapons" with him for the duration, maybe you could make an arrangement like that.
      Or, in the short run, you can always go to Reno or Las Vegas (for example) and rent one for some paper.punching at one of the places that do that.

Wed, November 16, 2005 - 6:27 AM

one range left in this goddamm country thatll let you make love to one without singing a deal with the devil.

its in nevada not to far from reno.
    or the
    PLAYA!
    • Unsu...

Sun, January 29, 2006 - 2:04 PM
      If anyone want to know.....: M1-a1 (and the a2 septs) usualy carry aprox 5,500 rounds in the coaxial ammo storage, witch feeds the coaxial m240 thats mounted to the breach of the 120mm smooth bore cannon, also the loader has the same weapon but had a 200rnd boxes, the rest of the 7.62 is kept in the turret in boxes or in the bussle rack for quick grabs, the .50 has 500 rnds thats kept in the TCs station and the tank also carries about 46 rounds of 120mm of various types of ammo, SABOT HEAT and so forth, that tank is a gas whore and carries like 550 gallons of JP-8 and can easly use that in a day.....hmm thats all I can think of at the moment, if you want to know more Id be happy to elaborate, I ate drank and pissed tanks for like 4 years, and I hate the fuckin things.
  • Unsu...

Sun, January 29, 2006 - 8:15 PM
    Move to Norway. Declare yourself to be a collector of military weaponry and purchase whatever you want. The administrative details are TINY. If I didn't detest cold so....

Sas

Recent topics in "Rifles & Pistols"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
You are all invited to join Adam 0 September 24, 2010
SCOTUS on 2nd a Really BIG DEAL~!!! Unsubscribed 5 September 21, 2010
Glocks explode in user's hands Unsubscribed 12 September 21, 2010
What's the biggest handgun? 50 June 28, 2009