Advertisement

What's the biggest handgun?

topic posted Sun, July 31, 2005 - 3:09 PM by 
Share/Save/Bookmark

I heard somewhere through the grapevine recently that the Russians now have a factory produced handgun that's a bigger caliber than the Israeli .50 Desert Eagle. You can have all sorts of things done custom by a gunsmith but this is supposed to come off the factory floor. Anyone else know anything about this?

Swaz
posted by:
Advertisement
  • Re: What's the biggest handgun?

Sun, July 31, 2005 - 10:12 PM
    Oh I gotta see this!
    And how much of a caliber increase is YOUR gunsmith capable of? I gotta see that too.

Mon, August 1, 2005 - 1:55 AM
      So, you're saying that the (Desert Eagle) .50 Action Express round is bigger than the (S&W Revolver) .500 S&W Magnum?

i guess it's fair to ask are you talking about biggest as in heaviest handgun?
      the Colt Walker used to be the heaviest at 72 oz. but the new 73 oz. S&W 500 magnum barely beats it in the weight department.

Largest Caliber (by bore size) handgun? sawed off 12 guages with the BATF transfer stamp would probably have the largest bores (dimensionally).

Most powerful load fired form a handgun?
      here are a couple of handguns that are built to fire the .50 BMG round. Looks like they're made by Maadi-Griffin.
      www.securityarms.com/2001031.../601.htm
      www.securityarms.com/2001031...2293.htm

Mon, August 1, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Well yah and they have the AR-15 pistol as well. But I don't really consider that a handgun. While it DOES fire a NATO .223 round that might be the largest handgun round by length, but I was talking caliber.

Let me know, still curious.

Swaz

Mon, August 1, 2005 - 2:02 PM
        Damn! That's some sick shit! But I guess if it's a loophole around the .50BMG RIFLE ban...
        I'd still want to mount it on a tripod, like an M2. Has anyone ever fired one? And will they be able to fire anything else anytime soon?

Swaz,
        Have your gunsmith saw off a 12gauge slugger for you, and ask if he can make it a 10gauge while he's at it.

Mon, August 1, 2005 - 2:23 PM

Oh hell, if I had the money I'd just buy one of those Mossberg super-shorties (A.T.F. any other weapon) and load it up with 12 ga. fleshette rounds. It may not kill them but at the right distance you could drop 10 or 15 people.

Anyway I guess the S and W .500 is bigger than the desert eagle huh?

Swaz
          • Jeb
            Jeb
            offline 2

Re: What's the biggest handgun?

Mon, August 1, 2005 - 6:25 PM
            Caliber wise, the .500 Linebaugh is larger than the .500 S&W by a .01th of an inch. Not much, but it is 'bigger'. It is, also in my mind somewhat more 'usable' in the field in a converted Redhawk than the X-Frame .500 S&W. Some people though like carrying an anchor into the woods ;) .

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 7:16 AM
              Watch Ghost in the darkness and you'll see one of the larger handguns. Remington actually carries a cutdown express rifle, probably a 76 caliber percussion, but it throws an 800 grain bullet. It'll fuck your day up.

PS: The character Remingtom was added by Hollywood--there was never such a character in real life. The Colonel killed both lions by himself.

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 10:33 PM

I have read stories in India when it was still ruled by the Brits where they had periodic-problems with man-eating lions. They would send British big-game hunters after them but they shure as shit weren't shooting handguns. The movie was based in fact.

Swaz

• Unsu...

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 11:06 PM
                  India? Tigers, not lions. STILL a pretty consuming problem (I pun because I'm disgustingly evil).

Sas
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Sun, August 14, 2005 - 10:35 AM
                    As a child I read many of the maneater books. To me that was real hunting---hunting something that hunted you back. That's the shit, baby! And contrary to popular belief, Leopards were the highest scoring killers. Rogue elephants were not unheard of either.

The reason that pistold were not used for big game was that none of them really had the power needed to kill a maneater. Black powder has a much longer impulse than smokeless powder, and the steel was not as good so you either bulked up the thickness or had pressure problems. Thicker steel meant a heavier gun, especially when you had to have a 27-30" barrel in order for the projectile to pick up enough velocity to shoot straight. Double rifles were popular because they gave the user a fast follow up shot in case the first shot didn't do the job. When you are shooting at a 900lb tiger, this was something you thought about constantly.

Sat, September 3, 2005 - 5:58 PM
                      I wouldn't say it's the biggest, but certainly one of the scariest hand cannons I've ever seen was this big-ass revolver that fired .45 Long Colt, but you could also put 410 shells through it without a problem. The barrel was about 2 inches long at most. Nifty, but I'm pretty sure it was a wrist-breaker.

O

Sat, September 3, 2005 - 6:01 PM
                        I think it was called the Thunder Five.

Mon, October 3, 2005 - 6:49 PM
                          There was also a 2 barreled handgun from the black powder era that shot a twelve guage sized shell from the old tiger hunting days in india.

Sat, December 3, 2005 - 11:46 AM
                            what about the T/C contender

Mon, December 12, 2005 - 2:14 AM
                              I haven't seen a chambering for 50 BMG round from thompson.

Most powerful handgun round is the 50 BMG...
                              • Unsu...

Wed, December 14, 2005 - 7:36 PM
                                I had to get rubber grips for my De .50, the plastic grips are slippery I couldent get a good grip wile shooting, thing kicks like a mule when the springs are new. wile I was at it clicking "Add to cart" I got carried away and got the scope rings and a liepold 3X9 scope, this season I droped a lil 3x2 mule deer, thing never knew what hit him. I still like to think mines the biggest.... heh
                                • Unsu...

Thu, December 15, 2005 - 6:09 PM
                                  Try a .454... the heaviest you can find.

People around here routinely pre-announce to the range that they are going to fire one. 50AE is no match.

Thu, July 5, 2007 - 6:14 PM
                                    don't forget some of the revolvers made by magnum research. There's one I really want that's chambered in 45-70! Not to mention the Thompson Center Contender and Encore that routinely have barrels that are chambered for rifle rounds.

Tue, January 31, 2006 - 7:18 PM
                                As a gun show junkie/expert (I grew up at them), I will confirm, SOMEONE DID BUILD A .50BMG BOLT ACTION PISTOL. They did not boast as to having ever fired it though. It is in a collection in a safe somewhere.
                                I have seen it, it was done, and kinda looked EVIL.

Wed, February 1, 2006 - 6:28 AM
    I think I have another contender. A production single action revolver in 45-70 Govt.

www.theothersideofkim.com/index.../7690/

Sat, February 4, 2006 - 9:07 PM
      You can get some pretty insane calibers with the TC or the XP100 series. 7mm Rem Mag in a bolt action pistol. The XP100 used to knock down metal plates to 300 yards or more. Booyah!

Sun, February 5, 2006 - 7:30 AM
        one friend of mine would reply to this the M-60 machine gun. He's actually big enough at 6 foot 7 inches and 350 lbs., to actually one hand the damn thing. It's frightening to watch.

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 2:09 AM
          The Car-60 can be one handed by pretty much anyone.

Then again, the hook on the end of the SPAS 12 stock is there soi you can one hand operate it around a corner...

Just cause you shoot it with one hand, doesn't make it a handgun.

As far as I'm concerned, the .50 BMG pretty much outperforms all the other rounds mentioned so far.

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 2:14 AM
            By the way... Thanks for the posts about that Gatling gun kit...

I've been to some different web sites about them and they are HIGH on the "I want" list.

Now to find another 10/22 for cheap...

Mon, February 6, 2006 - 10:34 PM
              I did think of getting one of the BTF activators. {I think it was BTF} It was a small hand crank that fastened to the trigger guard or any small caliber auto, then you just cranked the handle with your trigger hand. Like a gatling with one gun, UNTIL, WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING, you jam a rechargeable screwdriver with a flex shaft, or a rechargeable drill on there. I have not seen these in years, probably a VERY good thing. Since hand crankin is OK, but electric drive is a NO NO!!!

Tue, February 21, 2006 - 6:30 PM
                That same company is also offering a new device that is basicly a spring loaded trigger attachment that gives you automatic fire, a little slow, but legal full-auto for about $35

Someone mentioned the 50 cal pistol. I downloaded a great video clip of someone trying to shoot a 50 cal pistil (50cal, not one of the 454/50bmg rounds--but real military 50 cal.) It's pretty funny--the gun is so powerful that it actually flies out of the guy's hands and clean out of camera range. The guy was lucky the pistol wasn't embedded in his skull--and he probably has carpal tunnel now too. Waaaaay too much gun. It's like the 700nitro express--just too much power for practical use.

Sat, July 7, 2007 - 4:53 PM
    Bigger than .50 AE huh?!..... Now that's gotta be accurate!

The biggest though, hands down, the long barrelled revolver used by Jack Nicholson as The Joker in 80's Batman movie with Micheal Keaton.

Mon, July 30, 2007 - 3:05 AM
    The largest caliber handgun that I've ever heard of was what's known as a Howda Pistol. They were used in India during the British Colonial days. While hunting tigers from the backs of elephants it was a last ditch save my ass weapon. They came in various calibers and power levels but the largest was custom made for a Caliph (sp) in 2 Bore. What that means is the size of the bullet in a guage size like a shotgun. EG: a 12 guage shotgun bore was the diameter of a pure lead ball that a total of 12 would equal a pound and a 16 guage had a bore diameter that would require 16 pure lead balls to make a pound. The 2 Bore Howda Pistol held a half pound projectile in each of its 2 barrels. For those that are wondering that would be a bullet weighing in at 3500 grains each, compared to the 750 grain bullet of the 50.BMG. The velocities would be nothing alike, but the size of the entrance wound and the depth of penetration on dangerous game would not be noticed by a charging tiger. The shooter probably wouldn't fare much better than his attacker. The .600 Nitro Express pistol in the video wouldn't come close to comparison in muzzle energy or recoil.

Mon, December 10, 2007 - 8:56 PM
    Forget handguns and rifles, i had chance to try out 23 ItK 61 "sergei" anti-personnel/anti-aircraft machine cannon. Caliber 23mm, 34x 0,2 kilogram bullets per second destroying everything you aim. penetrates 3cm of solid steel. Too bad it was once in a lifetime experience :(

Mon, December 10, 2007 - 9:15 PM
    You have sparked a bigger debate than I think you wanted. As far as a functional pistol manufactured round the .50 AE or the .500 S&W is the largest pistol quality rounds. The other items listed such as the AR-15 machine pistol (machine gun configured for concealed carry CQB) is a considerably larger pistol, though the caliber is condersibly smaller than the IA Desert Eagle .50 AE. The .50 BMG round posted is a modified bolt action would cause a sever kick back and cause inaccuracy parallel to a large caliber auto. Now if the Russian Federation created a round larger than the Israeli .50 AE I would like to know. Keep me posted if you find information in regards to the possible new caliber.

Will
  • Unsu...

Tue, December 18, 2007 - 5:14 PM
    lotta states have banned anything larger than a .50

Cant guess why. Who'd use a gun bigger than a .50 for anything you have to be fast and furious about .

I I had to select a hand gun for the street It would be a Baretta .22 auto pistol. Of course ya gotta actually aim with a little caliber but if ya do, it's as deadly as a shotgun slug.

Recent topics in "Rifles & Pistols"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
You are all invited to join Adam 0 September 24, 2010
SCOTUS on 2nd a Really BIG DEAL~!!! Unsubscribed 5 September 21, 2010
Glocks explode in user's hands Unsubscribed 12 September 21, 2010
My new P22 14 June 23, 2009
looking for shotgun advice Mike 23 June 22, 2009